Minutes of Committee Meeting – 30th August 2018

Priory Road

 

Minutes of Committee Meeting

30th August 2018

Meeting room 1

Council Offices

7pm

Invited Guests:

Simon Stone (Springfield’s) SS

Anthony Grunwell (Spalding Water Taxis)AG

Also, Present Rt Hon John Hayes CBE MP.  JH

 

Minutes of last meeting were circulated and read.

Matters arising out of those minutes were discussed;

Most of the equipment lent to Louise we got back with an old laptop which has no password known to get into it. We also received a considerable number of old documents, but a few pieces we did not get back and Louise is going to look again to find them.

The Chair and others had a number of meetings with EMT representatives and a report was given on these.

Rail franchises were discussed, and JH suggested we contact each of the bidders again to make a case for a Sunday service plus other improvements.

 

The Chair requested help from his office in attaining the relevant contacts in these companies and help with drafting a letter outlining our concerns.

John had already had a meeting with other Lincolnshire MP’s and some of these companies and had stressed some of the important issues we had raised.

As Spalding has great potential with areas such as Springfield’s and the Water Taxi as attractions we must find ways to link all of the towns attractions to encourage visitors, but first we must integrate our transport systems.

It was pointed out that although the Water Taxi runs normally until September it can be hired for most of the year if required.

Station Meeting

Mark Simmonds, Jan Whitbourn and Chair had arranged to meet at the station to assess its present condition, but during our meeting we were informed that we had to finish as EMT although not invited did not allow these meeting without them present or notified. We then left the station. We also told the need to inform the station staff when any of the adoption team are on the station. This could pretty impossible if the team or its members want to work after 2,30 or on a Sunday.

It seems that EMT are now setting down conditions that we were not informed of before.

 

Lifts at Station

The good news is that after a meeting with Network Rail and Council Officials there are proposed plans to put lift access to each platform by 2019. The planning application has been submitted but a revision is needed to address its exterior look to fit in with existing buildings. They will also bring the station up to DDA compliance.

(Update, Planning permission has now been given to revised plans)

It was also mentioned that NR were looking to sell off some of their stations, but details were scarce.

Meeting attendances

The last Committee meeting was attended by four members.

We can not progress with important items or have any input and really need more members to attend as plenty of notice is usually given to arrange attendance.

If this does not improve we have two options. The Adoption Team remains for the gardens etc and the Forum folds which means the town does not have any representatives regarding transport. This would be a crying shame as the legacy of what it has accomplished in the past.

It was noted and acknowledged with comments made back Jack Mclean that many of our committee have additional jobs and do actively engage with others on transport issues.

 

John Hayes broached the question of the Chair wanting to stand down and suggested that this should be withdrawn until a future date as it is not a position that has anyone come forward to fill. The Chair also reminded the Committee he is also doing Secretary and Treasurer which is like a fulltime job and has other commitments as well. He has advertised on Facebook for the latter with no replies.

It was proposed by JH that the Chair should stay on and seconded by AC. Vote taken and passed.

Leaflets

We have 500 leaflets produced and Chloe provide the design to whom we are very grateful.

It was suggested that the next batch should be larger in print and include all our successes to date. Also, clear goals of what we need to achieve.

There were offers to take leaflets to some of the events such as the Business Club etc. It was mentioned cooperation in promoting ‘seasonal’ events.

Surfleet fete (9th Sept) will have a stand for us. We have obtained two 1st class tickets on LNER for the raffle.

We would like feedback on the above at the next meeting.

 

Where do we want to go from now??????

AG did make some comments before having to leave.

He stated that if you are on a Committee you should commit to turning up for meetings.

Also suggested that we ‘knock on‘ company doors to get our message though for support.

Jan asked what do and we need to do now, and the answer was to communicate with each other and come up with plan of ideas we can do as a team.

Simon agreed and said that we all needed transport, but it is vital for packaging it together and we could send out ‘Blanket emails” to firms, but first we need to know what we want from them. We should identify three or four target areas and concentrate our efforts on them. One of them is a later and earlier trains services as it is limiting our choice of travel times to shows etc.

We need to identify and evidence of the need for transport services. The Civic Society has objected to a bus service going through the town whereas Boston has no problem and is an example. We need to research buses times and see if they could be linked to other transport times to provide integrated services.

 

Questions raised about the Forums title

 

Liz brought up the question of the Forums title and why are we called Spalding & Peterborough Transport Forum.

It was explained that we do have ties to Peterborough in regard to transport on trains.

It has been mentioned in the past that that with Peterborough in the title allowed us to implement some of the changes we had made including timetabling.

We have had close links with the different services and to rename as Greater Spalding Transport Forum would involve a large amount of reorganisation, but this would to be discussed at a separate meeting.

SpeedWatch

Jan gave a report on the new SpeedWatch which is in the process of been set up.

This is a Community lead activity with volunteers concerned with the speed of vehicle speeding on our roads.

Training has started an it is now up to each Parish Council to provide the equipment.

 

Adoption Team Report

Kevin said that Christine had contacted him regarding a gentleman had requested that any collection at his funeral should go towards something at the station. Suggestion was that a plant or bush with a little plaque show be agreeable by EMT.

The hanging baskets looked fabulous this last Summer and next year it was mentioned by EMT that we should put in for an individual station award sponsorship by ACORP. Kevin to progress the above.

Meeting finished at 8.30pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of committee meeting – 10th April 2018

Minutes of committee meeting
10th April 2018
Council Offices
Meeting room 1

• Minutes of AGM
• Matter arising out of those minutes.
• Louise McGuinness had resigned from Committee and as Lead on the Littleworth re-opening this has now ceased as the Bus service project between Deeping St Nicholas and Peterborough as no further details have provided. It was discussed that Littleworth should be explored further seeking District and County support as the population that side of the town will increase over the next few years and we should be looking at transport congestion in the future the demands on our roads.
• Cllr Angela Newton and others agreed with the new road being built it will be closer for people to travel to than come into Spalding town station.
• Louise has still some of the Forums equipment i.e. Projector screen, speakers and record items which we need to recover,

• Accounts

• The accounts held are in credit to the tune of £456.50 But promotional items in pipeline will need to come off (£65)

• Brian Barnsley ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships)
• We had asked Brian to attend our meeting to explain the purpose of ACoRP and if necessary what level could we join in.
• He gave us a comprehensive rundown on the support we could reasonably ask for support including funding when necessary.
ACoRP is all about supporting the work of its members in their communities. Joining brings a range of benefits and enables us to be effective in supporting the community rail movement to deliver greater social value
• He suggested that we could join as a Station Group around £80 plus VAT.
He will also forward the appropriate forums later for our consideration.

• Discussion: The purpose of the forum.

• We discussed the purpose of the forum and commented on some of its successes, but it was time for us to reorganise into manageable groups.

• The Transport Forum Would split into three groups;
First Group: Station Garden Adoption Group chaired by Kevin

• Second Group: The station project which will organise the Forum in leasing out rooms at the station and providing a Community Hub.

• Last Group: The Forums Main Group researching transport issues within the province on rail, road and buses this will also include local issues coming to light such as congestion etc.

• We are now waiting after an inspection of the rooms at the station to hear from EMT about progressing but are wary of the Legal implications and need to be fully explained before any commitment.
We do attend meetings with various companies and Kevin and the Chair attended a Stakeholders meeting at Nottingham and pushed for a Sunday Service amongst other things.

• Station Gardens Adoption Report.

Kevin gave a report saying the weather had not been kind to us, but the flower beds just need a bit of weeding.
There was a suggestion that the name of “Spalding” should be outlined in white painted rocks on one of the flower bed.
The next available date for a meeting at the station was the 5th May around 1pm, but there was no objection to anyone going down there at any free time they had.

• Station Update.

• The Chair had a meeting with John White: Compliance Manager for EMT.
• We inspected the rooms that the electric wiring had been removed from and strip lights had been installed with two electric sockets in one room.
• We did observe that all wires had been removed that were in situ as it was mentioned that the installation did not come up to current specification but was agreed that surface mounted conduit could be added when agreed by EMT.
• We have got no further in identifying when we can occupy the first room to paint etc and we believe there will reluctance on the part of EMT until the Franchise has been agreed next year.
• Traffic Congestion: There has been noticeable traffic congestion along certain roads in and around Spalding. We know this is an awkward subject to tackle and a road traffic survey will be taking place.
• I have also written the ORR requesting information for rules of compliance for railway stations buildings. There does not appear to be any mention in Franchise documents of an inspection of buildings before they are taken over which is a get-out clause for TOC’s to do nothing.

• CIO Discussion

• The Chair is working on this.

• Fund raising

This was raised as to how the Forum was going to be financed this year and a suggestion was made that as the Transport Issues in the area affected each and every Ward we would request Councillors to contribute a sum out of their ward budget.
Angela has donated £200
Jack £100
Antony £50
Angela would circulate this request around Councillors when possible.
Further funds could only be raised against Projects to do with the station.

AOB

Jack raised a point of us using Facebook to enhance our reach out to people as the last advert although did not attract any new members it reached over 2000 people.
We need to get more Councillors onboard both at CC and Local level Chair will contact Nigel Pepper and Richard wills to suggest we have more input to discussions.
Date of next meeting TBA

Meeting closed at 20.35

AGM – 7th December 2017

Priory Road

AGM

7th December 2017

7pm

Council Offices

Spalding

 

Minutes

We gave reflection on the passing one of our Patrons

Tony Worth

  1. Minutes of the AGM 2016 (Read and Agreed)
  2. Matters arising from those minutes.

From last year we have changed people’s lives, one example is that the station gardens and car park have made the it a more pleasant experience for commuters to see.

Also, we had our first Transport Conference in Spalding with a great turnout of attendees and senior officers of many companies including two Lord Lieutenants of Lincolnshire.

Littleworth was discussed, but as Louise Mcguinness had now resigned from the Committee there was a suggestion from Liz Sneath that David Branton of the DSN Parish council should be contacted and maybe Railway Heritage should be approached and also English Heritage.

Lifts are to be installed in Spalding Station, no set date for this yet.

Buses from DSN to Peterborough were also in the hands of Louise, but as of yet we have not had a report on progress.

A busy year for all with Market Rasen Station group made us a visit and we took them to lunch.

Meeting with Railway Heritage, John Hayes MP and others to discuss the setting up of a project to use some of the rooms in the station for Community use.

Initial meeting with one of the Bidders for the new Franchise (Cross Country).

Meeting with Conservations Officers and Railway Heritage.

 

New items:

Kevin Mothers and Chair went to Nottingham to a EMT stakeholders meeting and both pushed for a Sunday service and better Saturday trains.

Chair went to York for a meeting with Virgin Trains stakeholders and the new Azuma Train coming on line in 2018/19.

We have also applied to join ACORP but were waiting for a reply.

There will Community speed checks as Parish Councils will be provided with speed guns for volunteers to man these at times where speeding becoming a problem.

Congestion in the town is getting to be problem especially around the Spalding road area where tail-backs are going back up to the Wardentree lane at times. Winsover Road is another area. We are assured this has all been discussed at Council.

The unauthorised parking in the Market Place when the sign displays No Entry was also mentioned.

 

Adoption Team(Kevin)

Kevin would like it recorded our thanks for the splendid work since last September (2016) the team has put in. It has been mentioned quite a few times by the public and staff at the station. Plans for next year it was suggested that the front of the station needs a good clearing up. Planting will continue when available.

 

The Station Buildings.

There was a suggestion that if we could be allowed to develop the station rooms for an office we could also include a Railway Museum of local interest.

We are still struggling to get any commitment for EMT to do this.

It was made clear that Network Rail own the Track and Buildings, but EMT rent the station from them and also the outside structure responsibility. The grey area is what responsibility EMT have to keep the inside of the building up to standard for a grade 2 listed building.

 

Accounts: £580 .60 in credit.

Fund raising has got to be a priority this coming year.

As we are not yet a Charity this is proving difficult.

 

Community Interest Organisation.

 

To be changed from a Forum to the above for charitable status, this was discussed and put in to abeyance with the Chair to take forward and investigate. It would be probably in our best interests to go down this line.

 

Election of Officers and Committee.

 

As there were not enough people could attend to elect on the night we were going to request those who are interested on staying on to indicate. An email will be sent around requesting this.

 

AOB

Jack Mclean suggested that we pay to Facebook to expand our influence by advertising and may attract new members.

If we can get permission one of the early projects, we could do is replace the plywood boards on one of the room.

Councillors at the meeting suggested that they could action some put some pressure on getting some work done by contacting various people.

It was agreed that if some monies were forthcoming the organisation presenting this would be welcomed to take part in the renovation.

County Care had expressed an interest in the station to help clear up.

There was a suggestion that we need to contact various people whom were involved in the original proposals for the work on the interior of the station buildings to find out what the plans were for and how much was recorded

 

Adoption team chair is still Kevin and volunteers on the night were signed up,

 

Meeting ended at 20.10.

Minutes of the meeting on the 18th October 2017

Priory Road

Held in the council offices meeting room one

7 PM to 9 PM

Those attending: George Scott, Kevin Mothers, Anthony Casson, Elizabeth Sneath, Christine Lawton, Angela Newton, Jack McLean, John Austin.

Guest: Rob Mercer :Area Station Manager. East Midlands Trains.

  1. PowerPoint presentation on the adoption rules followed by a Health and      Safety presentation by Rob Mercer. He also gave us an overall picture of the responsibilities of himself. Rob has offered vouchers to the tune of £100 for the adoption team.
  2. Minutes of the last meeting read and agreed on.

It was suggested that only those who attend meetings would be recorded. Agreed.

  1. Matters arising out of those minutes:

The adoption team will become separate from the forum and the Chair will be Kevin Mothers. We will have to separate monies from the forum and the adoption team although separate accounts would not be necessary.

  1. Discussion on the existing station buildings and presentation. The electrics in two of the rooms are dead and will need reinstalling before use. There are other costs that will need to be sorted out and that is why we need a CIO to separate this from the Forum. The Station Project will have to be looked at in stages and each stage to be completed before the next.
  2. Presentation on CIO. This will be taken forward to AGM for approval.

It was explained to some that the liability of a Trustee would be not an issue as it could be at no cost or as little as £1. The CIO will be a separate from the Forum and will be nominated as the Spalding Station Project.

  1. Date of next meeting: this will be an AGM on 7th December 2017 at 7pm

Meeting ended 20.53

Minutes of August 17 Committee Meeting

10th August 2017-08-24 7pm

Council Offices

Meeting room 1

 

  • Apologies: Ivan Hammond. Bill Mercer. Louise McGuinness. Elizabeth Sneath. Lyn Courtman, James Collins.
  • Minutes of the last Meeting; read and agreed on.
  • Matters arising from those minutes.
  • We are aware of the increased building of houses around the area. Pinchbeck Area is only one area having approximately 1000 extra homes being built in the next few years, but concern is how the transport links will address the increase in potential traffic is going to be tackled. This could mean an increase of cars on the road over 1000 vehicles just in one area.
  • Accounts:
  • Balance of £747.91p with a further £108 to be taken off for the water tanks at the station.
  • Upcoming meetings: meeting on September 8 with Andy Savage the Executive Director of Railway Heritage along with John Hayes, East Midlands trains and Network Rail. This is to discuss the buildings and preservation of the station.
  • Meeting on September 1 with Cross Country trains. Cross Country trains is part of the Arriva group and as one of the bidders for the next franchise.
  • September 4 meeting with Rob Mercer and Donna Adams from EMT to discuss the adoption that side of the forum.
  • Items on Call Connect: with the loss of some services pending on buses we understand that Lincolnshire County Council have approached Call Connect to run services around Skegness and this may apply to other places.
  • It is of some concern that the Forum Committee meetings might become just a ‘talking shop’ apart from the Adoption Group, which is performing excellently. We have all volunteered to do ‘something’ but I am not sure we haven’t lost the way and need some plan of what individuals or teams can do. We can only do this if the Committee’s discuss this> Rodney’s volunteered to survey passengers and contact Passenger Focus in regard to rail. We are a campaign group and our remit covers road, rail and other forms of transport and I am sure there are avenues we could explore further. We could look at the disabled angle on transport finding out what disabled people require on all forms of transport and if this is been fulfilled. It is possible to work singly or in small teams to accomplish some research and bring back to the committee on what they find. It is important that we take the views of the general public and ask them to feed back to us. We know there is a problem on some bus routes and it might be useful at a public meeting to use this as an agenda item, but also discuss beforehand at a committee meeting. It was also mentioned about the subsidies the bus companies receive and some receive large amounts and others very small. What we do not know is does a high rate of subsidies for some bus companies reflect the use of bus passes or just general subsidies. Bus companies do not believe they get a fair share towards the costs of operating a service of which the bus passes only contribute a small income for the operators.
  • Littleworth: Littleworth was discussed briefly as Louise McGuinness good not attend with a report and said there was going to be meeting in September about the proposed bus route. With the development of housing along the line we feel it is important that this is got to be highlighted once again, but if the bus service is initiated it will have to run alongside a rail service to give coverage for the houses and residents who live there. It has been muted that people from Crowland Area would probably use the railway halt rather than driving to Peterborough so this must be explored once more.
  • Peterborough group: the Peterborough group could not attend today and therefore there will be no report from them.
  • Next meetings: Committee meeting to be arranged for October and Public Meeting to be considered for November.
  • Meeting closed 8.45pm

 

I would ask all committee members whether on Adoption Team or otherwise to send in apologies if they cannot attend so they can be recorded in the Minutes.

 

 

Addendum to minutes:

 

Latest news: There is a need to identify who wants to be on a separate committee for the Adoption Team. If a meeting is called to discuss this next month we need to have made some progress. If not the Adoption Group will not be recognised by EMT and may have to fold and rely on independent individuals. This because EMT want the Adoption Group to be separately run from the Forum.